Wednesday, December 5, 2012

THE LONG AND THE SHORT OF IT


By David Beilstein

IT started with a letter to a friend about screenwriting aesthetics. At first my purpose was simple enough - trying to create a basic manifesto of sorts, on the approach and view, the screenwriter with exalted ambitions should scale in order to achieve a recognisable, and accurate view. 

But the letter grew and grew, as did references, into something longer. Larger. The attempt was made to finish the damn thing for my friend's birthday, but that didn't happen. The letter grew and grew, and I began to change my voice within the letter - a voice aimed at a general audience. 

Now, an unproduced screenwriter attempting a "book" about screenwriting is about as useful or rational as a dropout attempting to teach mathematics at MIT. Still, I've always believed the writer writes what has been ordained for him to compose - composition being a blend; a beautiful blend, of all those things Almighty God has put at the fingertips of the author. This concerns, universally and individually, the good, the bad, and the ugly of human experience. 

In that sense, when the muse arouses, coming into the mind and hand, the writer is an apostate not to be at the whim of that process. 

So, I continued to hunt-and-peck. What I have now is an overlong manuscript - a screenwriting version of Tom Wolfe's Stalking The Billion-Footed Beast; couched in theological wherewithal, as it were. 

In the future, since being an unproduced screenwriter (not for long, I pray) I will post some of what I wrote about screenwriting on here. Bits and pieces, really. Some of the pieces of this great wash of type is some of the best writing I have ever done, in my humble opinion. Not meaning, of course, I am any good. I'm a student - the magic of word order and diction still arouses me as a young man on his honeymoon. 

And that is a good thing - for someone who seeks to pay his water bill, car, etc., writing ought be some kind of romance; not ever replacing the real thing, but being crucial to the makeup of the individual. SOme vocational paths are like that, and, some are not. 

I will make no apologies. I'm a confessional Presbyterian - an old school Church goer. Part of what I do in the "manuscript" (for we cannot rightfully call it a book) is to outline why movies cannot be "Christian" - by that I mean, "evangelistic." 

I have debated friend and foe on this point - but it's true. 

In order to prepare some of the future ideas in my manuscript, I'll pull a quote which documents (to me anyway) what all this boils down to in the nitty-gritty, as they say. 

"Movies are not confessional art forms told to people, 
but a dramatic art form glimpsed by people." 
— Gary Ross


6 comments:

  1. Interesting.

    I wonder about the "evangelical" merits of works such as 'Ben Hur', or 'The Robe'.

    It's not 'in your face Christianity, per se, (in that they ask you to do something) but the Savior is, or so it seems to me, the writer's main point around which he (they) weaves an interesting and exciting story.

    Thank you, David.

    - Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve,

    More to come, my brother. You make some interesting points. Good to see you on here. Hey, I saw your name over at R. Scott Clark's Heidelberg.net in the comment section...

    That You?

    Kind regards,
    DJB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, David. keep 'em coming!

    Yeah, that was me. I'm making the rounds, throwing in my 2 cents here and there. A good bunch, over there at Heidelberg. Don't know if they're quite ready for this radical Christian's views, but they're pretty good about it.

    Thanks, David.

    - Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve,

    Dr Clark is a bull dog; I mean that in the best possible sense. Talked to him on the phone. He was winsome and gracious - a gift to the Church. You'd like him because he loves Luther, the Holy Gospel. Before teaching at Westminster, R. Scott Clark taught at a Luthern seminary. A great brother!

    Blessings,
    Djb

    ReplyDelete
  5. David,

    No doubt that he's a great guy. Glad he loves Luther. Most are not willing to go as far as Luther. Even most Lutherans. That said, I'm sure I'll enjoy interacting with RS and each of us might even learn a thing or two.

    Thanks, David.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve,

    IF You go to WSC (Westminster Seminary California) website and find R. Scott Clark's AV library, you'll come to a the podcast section. One of Dr Clark's podcasts is entitled WHOSE AFRAID OF MARTIN LUTHER?

    You NEED to listen to this podcast immediately; or when time allows. Some of what Dr Clark says will be my throughway about explaining the job of the screenwriter who is Christian; what that entails in my humble opinion. More than that though, it will be a clarification to you exactly where R. Scott Clark is coming in regards to Luther and Calvin; te doctrine of Justification, and other issues.

    Dr Clark is an exceptionally, and fair, historian.

    Blessings,
    Dan

    ReplyDelete