Monday, December 3, 2012

VINCE FLYNN'S STAND




By David Beilstein

I HAVE been reading Vince Flynn's thriller novels for a few years now. I recently had the chance to pick up his recent bestseller, The Last Man, published by Emily Bestler books. I'm on page 70 about, and it is a quick and entertaining read. 

While Flynn is not the world's most graceful of writers (his talent is one of pace, not literary a plum), the St Paul native is a master of the page turner. But there is something else. Flynn incorporates into his work situations facing American intelligence and clandestine services in a peculiar mixture of prophetic and timely narratives. The Last Man, for instance, contains a storyline right out of recent headlines involving CIA director David Petraeus and the Benghazi situation in Libya. 

All too often, fiction writers employ a world upon the reader swarming with social science witchcraft and politically correct agitprop. James Bond actor Daniel Craig may enable a scintilla of foolishness when suggesting, in 2008, presidential candidate John McCain would make a good 'M' but Barack Obama would make a better Bond, one knows quickly someone broke some wind. 

It is senator McCain - I'm no fan, believe me - who did the kind of work the fictional Bond does on the silver screen, and conversely, McCain wears the scares to prove it. Community organisers do not make good Bonds, period. 

Therefore, in Flynn's universe, the real is more entertaining than the conspiracy laden turf of so many Hollywood imaginations about the CIA and the intelligence world. 

Simply stated, CIA clandestine operatives are not chasing European bankers with swastikas stencilled on the underside of their Rolexes, but mean as hornets Arabs - the dudes with brown skin and boney noses mind you - ready and willing to send young men with explosive vests into crowds of people to reap the virginal rewords of martyrdom.

Or fly planes into searing towers, reaching for the heavens - knocking them down and crushing and smouldering some 3,000 people. 

Yeah, those guys. 

Even if the terrorists were indeed New York Times certified freedom fighters - the point is this is what consumes geopolitical reality in our time. Thus, a narrative dealing with such issues should contain the parameters and the characters of that world. 

This is where Flynn shines despite wooden prose in places, shoddy dialogue, etc. 

Persistence, though, pays dividends in life. It's why 60 rejection slips from top New York publishers led Flynn in the passion of youth to self publish his first novel, Term Limits. Since that baptism of uncertainty, Flynn has decided to take a sight-seeing tour of the world he writes about with numerous high level contacts in the intelligence world, gathering to himself packs of readers interested in those dark shadows lurking behind closed doors. 

There is clumsiness to how Flynn puts things. I can never get over the amount of didactic entheos he presses upon the reader of how much of a badass CIA operative Mitch Rapp happens to be. I said this before, but turning a few pages of the better Blackford Oakes novels by the late William F Buckley, a former CIA man himself, would help Flynn sharpen his mojo. 

Likewise, I read in vain for something approaching old man Hemingway's iceberg theory; the master's ability to take the real and symbolise it under the surface of poetical prose. Flynn dresses up his descriptive prose hardly poetically, and in turns of phrase that Strunk and White anathematised in The Elements of Style, surrendering to the campaign against cliche.

No one's perfect; for that Flynn gets a pass. He is right in the important areas - and in todays literary soapbox, that makes all the difference in the world. 

Or, it feels like it. 

7 comments:

  1. I wish I were more of a novel reader. His stories sound very exciting and interesting. And that he seems to "know" the future, is something.

    Thanks, David.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve,

    I would recommend first, William F Buckley's Blackford Oakes novels. Begin with 'Saving The Queen', then 'Stained Glass'. From there, it's your choice. Buckley wrote good fiction, literary fiction; he gives you a much more nuanced, conflicting view of the world of intelligence and the cost of moral conflict.

    After Buckley, then You can sight-see over to Vince Flynn.

    Best,
    DJB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve

    I think the key to Flynn's accuracy with real events, is simply, allowing people to be people - not allowing ideology to get in the way of human nature. Now, a correct ideology, as much as it can be, allows for the vagaries of human nature.

    As is said by the ancients, people are always people. When you allow that to transpire in the world of fiction, don't be surprised when life imitates art.

    Know what I mean?

    Blessings,
    DJB

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do! Great observation!

    Thanks for the tip on Buckley. I loved his political writing. I'm not sure that I have the attention span for novels. But, one never knows what tomorrow will bring.

    God's grace and peace to you, my brother.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve,

    Reading novels is like working out. You have to build an attention span for it; build endurance. There was a time I did not enjoy reading like I do now; I would be much more privy to watch my entertainment. Through maturity, I've built up an endurance and so I really, really, enjoy literiture - both entertainment, and more high-brow literary material.

    The key is to find a handful of authors whose style just fits your sensibilities. For me, that was Conrad, Melville, Hemingway, Wolfe, Price, Elmore Leonard; others. If you liked Buckley's political writing, found it interesting - you'll probably really love his fiction. William F Buckley, Jr was a gift and intellectual bull dog. He was also pleasantly cultured in a really genial, non-priggish manner.

    He is missed!

    Blessings,
    Djb

    ReplyDelete
  6. David,

    I'm an old dog and it may be harder to teach me a 'new trick', but like I said, one never knows.

    WF Buckley Jr. is sorely missed. I used to read him in (NR) in my twenties. I used to love to watch him of 'Firing Line'. What a guy. What a mind. What a gentleman.

    - Steve

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steve,

    What you have said may be true. But do not underestimate yourself. Based upon my math, you've got almost - Lord Willing - forty more years of life. I'm praying you reach the high 90's.

    Anyway, you are spot on about Buckley. I try to page homage to him with magniloquent vocabulary; certain things I write. WFB's MILES GONE BY literary biographer has been a source of undying inspiration in my 30's. I purchased the book when it came out. I was 28 at the time (2004). I didn't read until this year in film school. Apart of me is kicking myself. Still, I know God chooses the books and ordains them; even when said person reads them. So, I cannot REALLY complain.

    FIRING LINE was wonderful. I've watched the older episodes on Youtube. But goodness, Buckley's prose was exceptional too, just like his pencil-to-teeth; wink, wink, persona.

    An original - a writer, thinker, Who, could only have come about in America. He shined.

    Blessings,
    Dan

    ReplyDelete